Friday, December 4, 2009

Red Velvet Truffles

Two food posts in a row...should I be embarrassed by that? I heard about this recipe from a friend of mine and just had to try it out. Red Velvet Truffles from Bakerella. They are probably not my most favorite treat ever, but they are super easy...not to mention kind of impressive and totally kid-friendly if you have littles who want to help out. Brig and Hunter rolled the filling into balls for me and I did the dipping.




Red Velvet Truffles

Red Velvet Cake
1 can of Cream Cheese frosting
1 pkg. of almond bark


Prepare and bake the cake as directed on the box for a 9x13 cake. Once it is completely cooled, break it up into a mixing bowl and completely stir in the frosting. Shape into balls about the size of a quarter. Chill. (Truthfully, we didn't chill ours. We went straight for the chocolate and they turned out fine. I think the idea behind chilling is that the cake balls won't be as likely to break up during dipping if they're cold, but we didn't have any problem with ours at room temperature.) Melt the almond bark according to the directions on the package. Dip the cake balls, completely coating them, and place on parchment or wax paper until set.
If you wanted to try truffles but aren't crazy about the red velvet, any flavor of cake and frosting could be used. I'm thinking right this minute about trying a chocolate cake mix with a couple drops of mint extract mixed into white frosting...

4 comments:

Whitny said...

Um.... that is Awesome. Did you get them from Kennedy.? Because I think she gave me some a couple of years ago. She did oreo ones. Hello!!!

Gardner Family said...

Bakerella is one of my favorite sites for cake! LOVE IT! I have been contemplating making the cake balls myself but sincce I am not a big frosting fan I might not like them too much. I like more cake than icing.

Mom said...

So...what was the boys' take on the greatness of these tempting morsels? It would be fun to see pics of you all creating them.

Brenda said...

When I told Brigham I thought they were just "okay", he offered to eat all of them for me. He, Hunter and one of the neighbor kids are HUGE fans.