Tuesday, June 15, 2010

If Your Friends Jumped Off a Bridge

Even though I rarely get around to blogging any more, I still see life from a blogger's perspective. Stuff happens and I think--Oh I should blog that! Today I got all excited about something...like the kind of excited where you have a secret and can't wait to tell someone...like I had made a discovery that, when shared, had the power to change lives...not like a cure for cancer kind of thing, but close. Another purpose for over-ripe bananas kind of thing. I know, HUGE.

After an arduous day in the pool with the little men, this afternoon was feeling kind of like a gooey warm brownie afternoon. But I was out of eggs. I figured there had to be an easy alternative so I googled it. (Sidebar: Do you even remember the days before "google" was a verb?) Anyway, imagine my ridiculous excitement upon learning that half of a banana mashed up works as a substitute for an egg in things like cakes and brownies!! Yeah, HUGE!! Who doesn't need a use for dying bananas besides banana bread?! I'm trying to convey here how excited I really was about this, but I don't know that I'm getting the point across. Remember that one time I tried pretzel M&M's for the first time? The time I bought myself that fabulous flowered ring for Christmas? The time I had a mid-life crisis and went to Montana to be a cowgirl yogini? Wait. That's next week. The time I designed the most fabulous fireplace ever? Okay, that's how excited I was about this banana-instead-of-a-couple-eggs thing.

My excitement was SOOO misplaced. Long story short...if all your friends decide to jump off a bridge you probably shouldn't try that either.

12 comments:

Julie said...

I was sooo excited for you and the build up of myself being in that same predicament, and thinking that I wish I was out of eggs just so I could try it! Glad to know the outcome before the project really presented itself...LOL! T
Try applesauce instead of oil for brownies for a healthier option it actually turns out pretty good!

Not that your out of oil or anything.

Lauri said...

I was all sad I couldn't try it since I am allergic to bananas. Glad I don't have to be sad anymore.

Jill said...

That is really good to know! I have been in that situation more than once! Brownies sound good I think I will make some today!

Elizabeth Larson said...

LOL! I take it bananas don't taste good in brownies! HA! Thats funny. Thanks for sharing. Great story.

Carroll Family said...

You make me laugh - I would have been just as excited! Sidenote: we have LOTS of eggs - chickens - just call next time :)

Charlie said...

1 can of pumpkin can be substituted for all of the additional ingredients in a chocolate cake. Not kidding. Completely delicious. Just dump the cake mix and the pumpkin in the mixer. Beat until it looks like mouse. Scoop into cupcake pan (I use liners). Bake. Freaking delicious! In fact, best warm out of the oven with a dollop of cool whip on top.

Oh, and don't tell your kids it's in there... they won't be able to tell, amd it counts as a serving of vegetables! ;)

Brenda said...

Part of the problem was that I had a napper so I was tied to the house and couldn't go anywhere for eggs. I always have pumpkin though! I'll try that next time!!

youmightbeamamaif said...

Dang, wish I could have warned you about that one- tried it once. Sorry to say that the only substitute for eggs in the fridge is having chickens in the backyard. And I don't see that coming to the Bachrach farm very soon...

Quin's momma said...

I'm glad they weren't that great. If they had been great...and you fed them to me at some point...and I went into anaphylactic shock- I probably wouldn't have been happy. But- you are always so good to remember my allergies. Remember when the lady at the MAC counter was getting kind of frustrated that the eyelash adhesive wouldn't dry on my eyelid? YOU came to the rescue with "Isn't there latex in the adhesive? She's allergic to latex!" I can always count on you!

- jeana said...

and i thought i was the only one who is allergic to bananas...

oh, and google apparently doesn't know everything... =)

Ryan and Bethany said...

Thanks for sharing! Very useful tip! So glad you are still blogging!

Britty said...

dang it! i was so sure the brownies would be amazing. ps: don't try flax either, maybe in a natural disaster, but not if you can just wait a day and get eggs.